Sunday, March 17, 2013

St. Patrick's Day Fluffy Pancakes

So I have been searching for this recipe for awhile...my Great Grandma used to make it and rumor is my Uncles would take these down by the dozen while growing up.  They are so light and fluffy that I can understand why a teenage boy could do that :)   I was so excited when I finally found it!!!

The weekends at our house when we have all 5 together is hectic...to say the least, but always involves a big breakfast!  I was so excited when I realized at 7am I was still the only one up...even my 2 month old little guy was back asleep from his 5:30am feeding :)


All ingredients needed.....baking soda, baking powder, salt, butter, eggs, buttermilk (or in my case I didn't have any so I made a substitute w/ milk & vinegar, flour & sugar


Very important that you separate the egg yolks and egg whites...I almost forgot but was able to salvage...
Pour egg yolks into your bowl and mix well.....then add the dry mixtures & mix together
Be sure not to overmix


Add in the melted butter at this step and mix...again don't overmix
Take your egg whites and beat them until stiff


NOT STIFF ENOUGH.....Keep mixing


This is how the egg whites should look after a good 4-5 minutes of mixing
Add to the batter and fold in with a spatula

Add some spray to your pan and some green food coloring to you batter...and you have yourself some Lucky St. Patty's Day pancakes!!!






Ingredients
  • 3 eggs (separated)
  • 1-2/3 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tbsp. sugar
  • 1-1/2 cup flour
  • 4 tbsp. butter (melted)

Directions
Beat egg yolks well, beat in buttermilk & add all dry ingredients.  Add melted butter...be sure not too overmix.   Beat egg whites until very stiff and fold into batter.  Add green food coloring and mix.
Makes about 16-18 pancakes





No comments:

Post a Comment